Tips on writing a college essay:
- Start by brainstorming for a couple of days about your life (family, community, friends, activities) and how they have shaped you. Start thinking about what is meaningful to you and jot it down in a journal.
- Once your ideas have been put on paper, examine the prompt that you have been given.
- Write your first draft, ignoring word count and just putting your ideas on paper. Then, edit it yourself, until it somewhat reflects how you would like it to look.
- Peer and teacher editing! Don’t submit an essay without having someone else look over it first. A pair of fresh eyes can give a perspective to the paper that you may not have noticed before.
- If it is extremely personal, find a reader that will keep your information confidential. Many teachers will uphold this promise.
- Remember: it is your essay! If someone starts making changes that you don’t like, you don’t have to make them. The essay, ultimately, should sound like you wrote it.